Shaken or stirred? Modernism Week is a celebration of architecture, design, and culture; and a key part of that midcentury culture is most definitely the cocktail party! So remember to pack your retro party attire and don’t be afraid get dressed up in a big way. There are plenty of parties, receptions, gallery openings, and other fun festivities to attend.
**Here’s an updated round-up of cocktail parties for which tickets are still available for purchase!**
- Illuminated Modern Official Opening Ceremony and Reception – The official opening ceremony and reception for Modernism
Week and the first night of Illuminated Modern. This event showcases significant midcentury modern buildings, located along Palm Canyon Drive, that are specially illuminated for the entire 11 nights of Modernism Week.
- Modernism Week Kick-Off Party @ Frank Sinatra’s Twin Palms Estate – A cocktail party celebrate the launch of Modernism Week 2013. Cocktails and hors d’oeuvres poolside at Old Blue Eyes’ former home designed by E. Steward Williams. There is truly no better way to spend Valentines Day!
- Celebrating the Mystique of Marrakesh – Experience the ultimate marriage of John Elgin Woolf’s mid-century architecture combined with modern creativity as some of California’s top interior designers reinterpret these classic homes for this very special designer showcase. Be one of the first to tour the showcase and join the designers for a cocktail party with Morrocan-inspired cuisine in the Richard Harrison-designed Clubhouse. [REGISTRATION FOR PREVIEW AND PARTY IS CLOSED. Tickets are still available for the tours.]
- 13th Annual Modernism Show Preview Reception – Can’t wait to see what’s being showcased at this year’s show? Grab a spot at this elegant reception and join fellow collectors and design enthusiasts for a sneak peek at this world-class collection of midcentury furniture, art, and objects. The ticket includes wine, hors d’oeuvres, valet parking, and admission.
[February 15 – 6pm to 9pm. Tickets $75/person. Register here.]
- The Silver Factory – “Take a Walk on the Wild Side” at The Silver Factory, Palm Springs Modern Committee’s annual gala benefit, celebrating Andy Warhol’s notorious studio where decadence and impropriety reigned supreme. Don’t miss out on your fifteen minutes of fame hanging with the Warhol Superstars at PS ModCom’s awesome replica of the legendary underground hangout. Come dressed as Factory People: Eddie Sedgwick, Ultra Violet, Candy Darling, the Sugar Plum Fairy, or as Andy Warhol himself.
[February 15 – 8pm to 11pm. Tickets $125/person. Register here.]
- Midweek Modernism Week Cocktail Parties – Throughout the week, Modernism Week organizes social gatherings at great hotspots around Palm Springs. It’s a chance to meet other equally obsessed modernism fans over fantastic cocktails and tasty nosh. Each cocktail party is a ticketed event. Be sure to register in advance. Check out this handy dandy cocktail party round-up to see where you need to be!
[REGISTER SEPARATELY FOR EACH COCKTAIL PARTY. Tickets cost $20/person.]
- Martinis on the Mountain – A cocktail party at the historic O’Donnell House nestled high above Palm Springs with a magnificent view of the city below. Retro with a view!
- A Mad Men Evening – Architecture and Design Council’s Annual Fundraiser – Start channelling your inner Don Draper, and don (pun intended!) your favorite retro attire for this very special fundraiser for the Palm Springs Art Museum Architecture and Design Council. Hosted at the soon-to-be-remodeled Edward Harris Pavilion Architecture and Design Center, this could be your last chance to see this E. Stewart Williams gem before receives a comprehensive make over by Marmol Radziner.
[February 21 – 7pm to 10pm. Tickets $200/person. Register here.]
- Retro Martini Party – Hosted at the internationally renowned Abernathy House (a stunning home designed by William F. Cody for millionaire socialite James Logan Abernathy in 1962), the annual Retro Martini Party is THE party of the week. Guests wear vintage attire and dress to the nines for this memorable event. Not to be missed!