The #ModernismProject is a mobile initiative encouraging the Palm Springs Modernism Week community to get involved and capture modernism in their everyday lives through their photo lens. Starting in October through January, participants will have the opportunity, twice a month, to win tickets to Modernism Week events or prizes by simply snapping a photo and showing their own personal perspective on modernism.
Here’s how to play:
- Follow us on Instagram (search for user name Modernism_Week), the blog, Facebook, and Twitter to follow the bi-monthly contest prompts. You can always visit this page for the most current prompt too.
- Grab your smartphone.
- Photograph anything and everything related to the current prompt and add your favorite filter, tilt-shift, or bokeh flare. Note: The subject of your photo does not necessarily have to be in Palm Springs. We want to see your interpretation of modernism – no matter where you live!
- Upload it to your Instagram account, and add the hashtag #ModernismProject, as well as the hashtag for the most current prompt (ie. #architecture) so that we can track your submission by each contest. Feel free to submit more than one photo.
- Starting in October, we’ll announce the challenge prompt usually every 2nd and 4th Thursday of the month (but check the calendar below for exact dates), and announce a winner on the following Wednesday by tagging them on Instagram – so check your news feeds to see if you’ve won!
- For each contest, we’ll have a special guest judge, so make them pretty, make them creative and dazzle us! We can’t wait to see what you come up with.
The calendar of prompt dates is included below. Don’t worry, we’ll also remind you on Instagram,the blog, Facebook and Twitter as we announce the prompt topics themselves. Additionally, we have something special planned for February, but you’ll just have to wait for that! So get ready, set, and shoot!
October 11th: Archilovers – #architecture and the winner is Yutsai Wang
October 25th: Design Milk – #pattern and the winner is Sergio Santillan
November 8th: Jason Hudson – #wanderlust and the winner is Miguel Santos
November 29th: Casa Sugar – #abode and the winner are Valery Lovely and Antonio Aguirre
January 10th: The Fox Is Black – #typography and the winner is Debbie Piepenburg
January 24th: Refinery 29 – #fashion and the winner is TBD
THE FINE PRINT, you know we gotta have it:
The object of the #ModernismProject Instagram Photo Contest is to submit your own original photograph edited in the Instagram application as described below in exchange for the chance at winning a prize, as described below. Palm Springs Modernism Week special guest judges will judge all eligible entries received, as outlined below.
Contestants must be 21 years or older. Each individual contest begins at 12:01 A.M. Pacific Time on the Thursday the prompt is announced, and ends at 11:59 P.M. Pacific Time on the following Monday. Winners are announced the subsequent Wednesday.
During the Entry Period, all entries must be uploaded through the Instagram application. Each entrant must have an Instagram account and follow the @Modernism_Week Instagram feed. To enter, entrant must use the hashtags #ModernismProject and the current prompt, ie. #architecture to be considered. No other method of entry will be accepted. There is no limit to how many times one account can submit an entry.
We’re all adults here, but just in case – the photo may not contain any content that:
(1) is sexually explicit or suggestive; unnecessarily violent or derogatory of any ethnic, racial, gender, religious, professional or age group; or profane; promotes alcohol, illegal drugs, tobacco, firearms/weapons (or the use of any of the foregoing);
(2) promotes any activities that may appear unsafe or dangerous; promotes any particular political agenda or message
(3) is obscene or offensive; endorses any form of hate or hate group; appears to duplicate any other submitted Submission;
(4) contains any personal identification, such as license plate numbers, personal names, e-mail addresses or street addresses;
(5) contains copyrighted materials owned by others or any trademarks, names or logos owned by others; or
(6) violates any law.
Entrants must fully comply with all contest requirements to be eligible. Incomplete entries are void.
By entering the contest, each entrant agrees that his or her submission is an original work of authorship and he or she owns all rights as of the date of submission. The winner grants Palm Springs Modernism Week and affiliated judges to publicize the winning photo, the winner’s name, and Instagram handle, and to use the photo in any public relations or marketing material as necessary.
There will a total of 1 winner for each competition. Winners will receive a pair of tickets to one Palm Springs Modernism Week event of their choosing. Tickets are non-transferable. If the winner does not live in the vicinity, or will not be attending the event in February, they will receive a choice of prizes from the Palm Springs Modernism Week MODSHOP.
The winner will be notified via the Instagram application, and/or email on the Wednesday after the competition has completed. In the event that the winner does not respond to any such notification within three days of date of issuance, a disqualification will result, the prize will be forfeited and, an alternate winner may be chosen from among all remaining eligible entries.